A quick visit to Jones Beach West End today yielded the best diversity of
shorebirds I've seen yet this spring:

120 Black-bellied Plovers (max yesterday 90 at Cupsogue)
1 Semipalmated Plover (max yesterday 4 at Cupsogue)
70 Red Knots--most in full breeding plumage
5 Ruddy Turnstones (max yesterday 9 on Dune Rd.)
90 Short-billed Dowitchers, including one hendersoni (three along Dune Rd.
yesterday plus singles at Shinnecock and Cupsogue; and two at Goethals Bridge
Pond on Saturday)
600 Dunlin (max yesterday 350 at Cupsogue)
15 Sanderlings (half in partial breeding plumage)
60 Least Sandpipers (max yesterday 60 at Cupsogue)
15 Semipalmated Sandpipers (my first of season)

There were at least 170 Common Terns at West End today (following 100 east of
Triton Lane yesterday and my first seven of the season at Fire Island on
Friday). These were with about 30 Forster's Terns and a pair of Gull-bills (my
first was there on Friday evening), and we saw our first Least Tern at Jamaica
Bay on Saturday. There was a first summer Lesser Black-backed Gull in the rain
pool in front of Field 2, Jones Beach West End, today.

A striking aspect of the flights this weekend were the many blackbirds and
swallows involved in westward migration. I thought the blackbirds were
interesting because we don't often think about blackbird migration continuing
this late in the season, but many Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and
Brown-headed Cowbirds were clearly migrating at places like Robert Moses SP,
near the western tip of Fire Island, and we even saw a meadowlark (presumably
Eastern) there yesterday (Eastern Meadowlarks were conspicuous on territory
later yesterday at the Grumman grasslands). Barns Swallows were moving westward
at Fire Island on Friday morning and again yesterday morning, when 71+ were
joined by small numbers of Tree, Bank (2), Rough-winged (1), Purple Martin (2),
and Chimney Swift (14). The swallow flight was stronger if anything along Dune
Rd. in the afternoon, when we counted 176 migrating westward, along 2 more
Banks and a my first Cliff Swallow of the season. Two other species that you
might not expect would fly westward along the Long Island coast during spring,
but which nevertheless consistently do this, were 4 Eastern Kingbirds and a
Red-headed Woodpecker at RMSP yesterday (photo of the RHWO at: ).

Although this sort of reorientation behavior is typical of night-migrating
Neotropical migrants such as warblers, tanagers, and orioles, of which there
were a few along the beaches both Friday morning and yesterday, I'm trying to
get used to seeing more Orchard Orioles than Baltimores almost everywhere on LI
these days: between the two of us, Pat and I connected with Orchards at Staten
Island, Babylon, Edgewood, Fire Island, Calverton, and Eastport this weekend.

Warbler highlights from the weekend included a Western Palm Warbler at Clove
Lakes Park, Staten Island, on Friday morning (quite rare in southeastern NY
during spring); Hooded and Cerulean there on Saturday morning; and a
Worm-eating at Hunters Garden, central Suffolk County, yesterday. Somewhat
early for central-eastern LI was a Red-eyed Vireo in Manorville yesterday, and
very early in my experience was an Eastern Wood-Pewee at Clove Lakes on
Saturday.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

Think green before you print this email.