Thursday, 2 September 2010 - s. Queens & Kings Counties, N.Y. City

Some of the highlights of visits to Floyd Bennett Field (Brooklyn /
Kings Co.), the Rockaway peninsula, and then Jamaica Bay Wildlife
Refuge (Queens Co.) included a total of 23 species of shorebirds & a
very impressive number of some colonial waterbirds (at Jamaica Bay
Refuge), plus a small variety of land-birds including various
warblers.  The surf developing at the shore along Breezy Point, Queens
was rather impressive, too.

I'd expect some changes, perhaps big changes, in the exact variety &
numbers of all migrants in our area by this Sunday if not sooner, if
predicted weather changes come in with cool & dry conditions by this
weekend & of course, whatever "Earl" the storm may bring, or not. This
weekend could give a first bigger 'push' of raptors as well - we will
see.

My first stop was at Floyd Bennett Field where there were 2 Buff-
breasted Sandpipers, and one Baird's Sandpiper in the same area as
reported previously. I was there from about 6:30 a.m. until 8:30 -9
a.m. and at first, noticed zero shorebirds.  I checked the north
"runway rain puddle" again though & a single Least Sandpiper had come
in so I wandered around a bit & returned to find that a Baird's along
with a half-dozen Least & 2 Semi-palmated Sandpipers had also arrived
by 7:15.  There were also some Killdeer about. I then looked around
the fields & lawn areas near that, that is near the main hangar
building with the sports fields such as for cricket, soccer, etc. and
after about 45 minutes of seeing relatively little in the way of other
shorebirds (but some land-birds) I noticed the flock (presumably same
as had been at the puddle) of Killdeer on a more unkempt, slightly
weedy field containing 2 isolated smallish trees (large enough to
provide shade however), just south of the parking area to the west of
the hangar buildings. Then I noticed 2 slimmer, more buffy-colored
birds, & approaching cautiously I saw that they were each Buff-
breasted Sandpipers - both, but especially one, seeming quite wary,
far more so than the ten Killdeer also in that area at that moment. I
had some fine views until a couple of bicyclists came by and
initially, the 'Buffies' held their ground but then a truck was being
unloaded within 50 feet of these birds, with noisy metal boxes and a
lot of clanging & thudding sounds - that was it for the whole group
which took off in a somewhat easterly direction. I soon went in that
direction but could not relocate the 2 Buff-breasted, although back to
the puddles once again, the Baird's was still there an hour+ later,
while some Canada Geese & two adult Great Black-backed Gulls were also
around the shrinking puddle.

Other birds of note at Floyd Bennett Field in the first 3 hours of the
morning included 2 Vesper Sparrows along the edges of the runway that
leads from the FBF main (southmost) entrance to the north (the first
right turn if entering from that south entrance, which is close to the
Marine Parkway bridge toll plaza) as well as at least 4 Savannah
Sparrows near the 2 Vespers... the Vespers moving bit-by-bit along to
the south as I walked in that direction, too.  A juvenile-plumaged
(not "immature" but juvenile, with still a few downy feathers in
place) Field Sparrow was also a slight surprise - not that the species
breeds there is a big surprise but that it seems late, presumably from
a later brood.

Along the weedier (mugwort) parts of some of the north runways I noted
the following warblers, mainly singletons except as noted: Tennessee,
Prairie, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia (2), Myrtle [Yellow-rumped] - my
first of this season in NYC, Northern Waterthrush, and Common
Yellowthroat (dozen or more). Also seen (in shrubs) were some Traill's-
type Empidonax.

A couple of Eastern Palm Warblers were about in that area, and in &
near the FBF community gardens, a variety of warblers included a
single Blue-winged, 2 N. Waterthrush, Yellow, 5 or more American
Redstarts, and at least a dozen Common Yellowthroats - and there were
additional warblers in the area that I didn't get good looks at. The
other land-birds noted at FBF included Warbling & Red-eyed Vireos,
Gray Catbird (12+), American Robin (100+), Baltimore Oriole (at least
5 all in cherry trees west of the community gardens) and a couple of
fly-over Bobolinks. I looked at the "return-a-gift" pond at FBF, & it
was still quite lacking in water, although "moist" - & I saw no
waterbirds other than 2 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons around there.

There also were people arriving to play sports, etc. as I was readying
to move on and I don't know what, if any effects on shy shorebirds the
human activities may have had. Early on at FBF I also noted singles of
N. Harrier, Sharp-shinned & Cooper's Hawk, and American Kestrel in the
"north" areas there.

At Fort Tilden in mid-morning, a little time on the hawk-watch
platform at Battery Harris yielded a modest assortment of low fly-bys:
Eastern Kingbird (5), Red-breasted Nuthatch, Tree Swallow (50+), Cedar
Waxwing (few), plus 2 Bobolinks.

At Breezy Point (I walked the full loop around the bay-shore to the
jetty and back along the ocean-side & the sandy access road back to
Beach 222 St.) there was a very bright female-looking Bay-breasted
Warbler in the bayberry at the start of the trail to the bay-side,
which I ogled for many minutes. There were some other warblers about
and all that I really saw well or heard calling were Common
Yellowthroats, at Breezy Pt.  The bay side, as in previous visits, had
good variety of shorebirds and overall this was where I saw the
greatest numbers of birds (or at least of shorebirds) on the day, with
a total of well over 2,000 Sanderlings & 500+ Semipalmated Plovers,
plus a single Red Knot (adult), 2 adult Black-bellied Plovers, NO
Piping Plovers (that I saw), a pair of Western Willets (adults), a
very few Least & Semipalmated Sandpipers in a moist area, and a small
number of American Oystercatchers (about a dozen in all) with well
over half of the Sanderlings on the ocean beach, high surf & all.
There were at least 20 Black Skimmers and also 14 of them that flew by
heading southwest (not feeding) in the noonish hour. The "white" gull
was still present as it has been all summer - this, I believe is a
gull that was reported months ago by Andrew Baksh & I also got some
not-awful photos the last time I was along that stretch of beach - the
bay side of Breezy Point. (I'm not sure what species but don't think
it's a Glaucous Gull or a rare hybrid, & it is a bit scrappy-looking
in addition to having almost entirely white plumage - it also is not
an "albino" bird...).  There were about 400 Ring-billed Gulls in fresh
first-summer plumage along the bay side as well. One non-avian
sighting was of a Diamondback Terrapin swimming close to shore there.
Terns were in seemingly short supply and all I saw were Commons, about
30+.

At the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge from about 2:45 to 6:45 p.m., at
least 19 species of shorebirds were present including both East & West
Pond areas, despite the overall number of shorebirds dramatically less
than in much of August, and rather high water on the E. Pond very
recently.  There were also huge numbers of certain colonial waterbirds
on the East Pond & adjacent trees there, with at least 1,400 Double-
crested Cormorants at one time, among other species. Shorebird
highlights were an American Golden Plover (slightly worn & faded
adult) with at least 20 Black-bellied Plovers on the sand bar off the
"Terrapin trail" which is off the south end of the West Pond trail
(around bench 8) at about 1 hour after peak high tide, and 2 ongoing
Baird's Sandpipers at the East Pond, up the east side from the SE
corner a ways, plus a basic-plumaged Wilson's Phalarope closer to the
south end of the East Pond, & a young-looking Common Moorhen. A
Pectoral Sandpiper (juvenile) was looking sharp (but not sharp-tailed ;
0) along the West Pond shores, & there were altogether at least 200
shorebirds on the West Pond edges around 4-5 p.m. plus some of the
regular Boat-tailed Grackles in the marsh and trees adajacent to the
W. Pond. A nice assortment of adult & immature Little Blue Herons in
the south marshes, with a small number of Plegadis-genus Ibis
(presumed all Glossy's) around (and more, perhaps 60+ Plegadis-type
[Glossy] Ibis, at the East Pond). There were well over 100 Snowy
Egrets and at least 40 Great Egrets in the Refuge that I counted, a
good many of these well-enconsed in tree roosts.  A walk from the NW
corner of the East Pond south along the west shore required high boots
- which were wetted up to within 2 inches of the tops.  Despite the
high water & the fact that most of the shorebirds (both variety &
numbers) were at the southern third of the East Pond, at least 150
shorebirds were on the north third or so at the hours just a bit after
peak high tide - and also despite the presence of at least one
marauding juvenile-plumaged Peregrine at the East Pond. The numbers &
species of J. Bay shorebirds that I encountered are listed below. Some
other birders had been to the bay in the morning/early afternoon and
reported some of the same highlights but had a bit lower variety &
overall numbers (and were well off the peak high tide cycle on the
day). I found a few migrant land-birds at the Refuge, while the other
birders present earlier in the day saw a good many more in variety but
not in great numbers. There was a bit of water at Big John's Pond
although I saw no water or shore birds in there, just a few smaller
migrants in the vicinity.  There were also many hundreds of gulls at
the East Pond later in the day, including over 250 Laughing, 300+ Ring-
billed, 500+ Herring, & 75+ Great Black-backed Gulls in big roosting
flocks.  Waterfowl included some N. Pintails, and both of our species
of teals in fair numbers, plus N. Shovelers, a smaller number of
American Wigeons, & less than a dozen Wood Ducks in the East Pond
(plus the other typical waterfowl of the summer).

Jamaica Bay shorebirds:

Black-bellied Plover (20)
American Golden-Plover (1)
Semipalmated Plover (60+)