Sep 16.

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) birded the barrier beaches this morning We stopped
at Jones West End and the swale very briefly at each, routed by MOSQUITOES.
They're back in force; beware,  The bar was empty and the swale is dry, so we
didn't miss much.

We proceeded east stopping at Field #6. Two large terns landed on the beach, an
adult and young ROYAL TERN. (The youngster had a thinner "yellow" bill. The
first time I saw a young bird of the year in this plumage,  I thought it was an
Elegant Tern--one learns with experience).

The next stop was Robert Moses field #2 parking lot where we found a first
winter plumaged LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. We proceeded to the volley ball
courts where we heard of a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW seen earlier.  Rather than
going to the hawkwatch, we waited patiently until it finally came up into the
top of a clump of grass.

A sea watch was unproductive.

We arrived at the hawkwatch platform just before noon, a slow time of day. A
short stay rewarded us only with swiftly moving Merlins propelled by the strong
east wind..

Sy