The fenced off area at the South end of the baseball fields in Prospect Park was loaded with sparrows today. The nice mix of sparrows was dominated by a very large flock of juncos and chippings. I had gone to the area to look for a Vesper Sparrow spotted earlier in the morning by Rob Bate. A group of us (including a returning Rob Bate) eventually relocated it at around 12:30pm. While scanning the flock for "something different", I realized that it was actually a pair of vespers feeding near the edge of the fence. At times, it was a little frustrating scanning through the sparrow flock as the birds were routinely being spooked by a Merlin, Red-tailed Hawk and Cooper's Hawk. By around 2pm, Tom Stephenson, Rob & I walked north along the Long Meadow to the "Sparrow Bowl". As soon as we arrived I spotted another Vesper Sparrow feeding near a badly worn stretch of grass. I believe that the total sparrow count for Prospect Park for the day was 7 species, far short of our 13 species sparrow fallout on October 23rd of last year.

Good birding,

Rob

Location:     Prospect Park
Observation date:     10/19/10
Number of species:     37

Wood Duck     9
Mallard     X
Pied-billed Grebe     1
Great Blue Heron     1
Sharp-shinned Hawk     2
Cooper's Hawk     1
Red-tailed Hawk     3
Merlin     1
Herring Gull (American)     X
Rock Pigeon     X
Mourning Dove     X
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Downy Woodpecker     1
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)     X
Eastern Phoebe     2
Blue-headed Vireo     2
Blue Jay     3
American Crow     14
Black-capped Chickadee     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Winter Wren     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet     12
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
Hermit Thrush     6
American Robin     X
European Starling     X
Yellow-rumped Warbler     1
Palm Warbler     5
Chipping Sparrow     200
Vesper Sparrow 3 (2 individuals seen at fenced area on baseball fields. 1 seen at Sparrow Bowl.)
Song Sparrow     4
White-throated Sparrow     X
White-crowned Sparrow     3
Dark-eyed Junco     300