Every so often I get a little tweaked over the hype associated with eBird.
Yes, it's a useful endeavor.
Yes, it's actual science - but it's science with a large error level
in the data, and the error isn't trivial to estimate.
It has the sort of error level I associate with a badly-controlled
Sociology experiment.
Speaking as a professional scientist in the biological sciences, I'd
like to see the quality of some of those journals - the "peer reviewed
publication" in Nature below is just a News article - not peer
reviewed and just fluff.  That's either sloppy or disingenuous.  The
P.N.A.S. article might be worth a look at - that's the second best
journal in that list.

But "Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology".
Since Monday Night Football is on in the background as I write this:
Who are we kidding ?  C'mon man.

I made the Swiss Cheese comment:
Ben C. and I were using eBird to look at Prothonotary records with a
view to potential breeding populations north of NYC (there are some on
the nw of NY State).
Now I actually *know* at least some of the Prothonotary records in
NYC.  Many of these are simply not present in the database. Cornell
doesn't mine this list or eBirdsNYC for those records, it relies on
contributors which are a small subset of the birding population to
report.  NYSBirds and eBirdsNYC have the same thing - a small minority
report sightings.  However those lists don't purport to be a
representative record of sightings.

Other comments like: "robust verification"  are largely meaningless if
you have to say: "is it getting better every month".  Robust
verification would require actual checking of every reported sighting,
not flagging the most error-prone observations using a very simple
probability model.  I wonder how many House Finch sightings are
verified ?  The actual counts ?

So if we can skip over all the PR here - eBird *IS* currently not very
useful for constructing an NYC checklist.  It's currently a very
incomplete record and fundamentally flawed as a result.  I expect it
will get better, and I certainly hope it will get better, but that
doesn't mean that it already qualifies as "good".  It only qualifies
as "good" if you have very low standards indeed.

Phil Jeffrey, D.Phil.