I saw the COMMON GROUND DOVE late this afternoon (just after 4:00). It was
feeding along the edge of the paved pedestrian path that connects the north
and south parking lots. It was last seen flying across the road into the
setting sun.

The Captree visit wrapped up a full day of birding that started at Plum
Beach in Brooklyn and continue at Fort Tilden, Floyd Bennett Field, and
Jones Beach (west end & Zach's Bay). The weather was beautiful but the
birding was generally slow. I'd hoped to find a Nelson's Sparrow or two
at Plum Beach, but if there were any present they kept out of sight.
Only Song Sparrows revealed themselves. There were 5 Oystercatchers out
on the offshore sandbar and a small raft of Greater Scaup on the bay.
At Fort Tilden the highlights were mostly waterbirds too--good numbers of
all 3 scoter species, 15 flyby Common Eiders, Gannets, and 2 Red-throated
Loons. As far as landbirds go, there were 2 flyover Pipits, 1 flyover
Siskin, and 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

At Floyd Bennett, 4 CATTLE EGRETS were resting/feeding in the field east of
the main runway, opposite Aviator Sports. Two kestrel were also seen, 1 male
and 1 female.

At Jones Beach, I did not see the N. Shrike at the Nature Center, but did
see and hear a WILSON'S SNIPE that lifted out of one of the inter-dune
marshy spots.