Naturally, it is troubling to hear that the bird is in distress, with the
leg band as the possible culprit. However, I'm very intrigued by the details
of the band. Does anyone have photos that show it? Do the letters read up
(or down) the leg or around it?

Barnacle Geese are seen annually in our region but the origins of these
birds remains a topic of healthy debate. The discovery of banded birds
provides a rare opportunity to supplement speculation with fact. With this
in mind, it's important to establish the type of band that has been used on
the Orchard Beach bird. Is it a type used by waterfowl collections/breeders
or an engraved plastic 'darvic' band of the type used by several banding
(ringing) projects studying the wild and feral populations in Europe?

A good number of the Greenland and Svalbard nesting populations have been
marked with darvic rings/bands allowing researchers to map out the migration
routes and determine other statistics relevant to their population biology
(e.g. lifespan). Systematic marking of the Svalbard population began back in
1970. What I don't know yet is whether these 'color-banded' birds carry a
conventional metal band as well. A description of the Svalbard color scheme
can be found here:
http://www.ssf.npolar.no/documents/Observations/Barnacle_goose_leg_rings.pdf

--
Angus Wilson