Lila Fried and I saw the LARK SPARROW today in fading light at 4:30 pm in
almost exactly the same spot as described by Eileen Schwinn and Mike Higgiston
on December 20th. (This is the bird first reported by Vinnie Pellegrino on the
17th.) It was feeding in the grass along the edge of Grumman Boulevard,
immediately to the west of the closed entrance to the former Grumman facility
in Calverton, Suffolk County. It was with another mixed flock of sparrows,
mainly Chipping with a few Song sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos and at least one
Field Sparrow. We had extensively but fruitlessly checked the area earlier in
the day, from 7:40 to 8:30 am, and found virtually no sparrows at all, but we
decided to make another pass through the area after spending most of the day
birding eastern Suffolk. We did find a Northern Harrier and a pair of
Red-tailed Hawks hunting over the Calverton Grasslands in the morning, and
hoped for, but could not find, any owls in the area in the evening.

We had started the day at Upper Lake in Yaphank, where we found the pair of
wintering TRUMPETER SWANS. They were still sleeping, with heads tucked, when we
arrived at sunrise, so at first we couldn't distinguish them from the Mute
Swans that shared the lake. The id became clearer when the swans were rudely
awoken by a pair of shotgun blasts in the nearby woods. I didn't see the
hunters, so their intended target remains unclear. Upper Lake, which is really
a small pond, also held over 100 Canada Geese, 6 Mute Swans, 30 Ring-necked
Ducks, 20 American Wigeon, 4 Hooded Mergansers, and 150 Mallards, so there were
plenty of targets.

After Yaphank and then Calverton, our next stop was Further Lane in East
Hampton, in hopes of spotting the GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. Once again we
had no luck at first - there were no geese at all on the fields and lawns at
9:30 am - but the four GWFG were there, amidst a large flock of Canada Geese,
when we returned at 3:30 pm. We could not find the previously reported Cackling
Geese.

After our first stop at Further Lane we continued on to Montauk Point State
Park, where we spent several hours battling the frigid winds at the Lighthouse
Restaurant deck while watching the incredible spectacle of literally thousands
upon thousands of White-winged Scoter, Black Scoter, Surf Scoter and Common
Eider streaming around the point from the south-east heading northwest into
Block Island Sound. The birds came in a seemingly limitless constant stream,
flying a few feet over the water's surface. It was simply not possible to count
them. Mixed in with the Scoter and Eider were much smaller numbers of
Long-tailed Ducks, Red-breasted Mergansers, Northern Gannets and a relative
handful of RAZORBILLS whizzing by. We also spotted a trio of adult ICELAND
GULLS flying above the seaducks at the point, and finally an adult LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL sitting on the beach near the mouth of Napeague Harbor on the
north shore of Lazy Point. We assume this is the gull that Angus Wilson
referred to as "Larry". We never did find "Freddy" at Fort Pond Bay, but we
were too timid to bear the Arctic wind for long.

Good winter birding to all.

Richard Fried
Lila Fried
New York CIty