Wednesday, 4 May, 2011 -
Central, Riverside, & Morningside Parks, Manhattan, N.Y. City

On a rather damp, overcast and increasingly chilly day, after a big
"fall-out" as happened the day before, I spent a few hours early in
Central's north end, then later on a few more hours starting there and
moving into Morningside & Riverside Parks, and ending up again in
Central... it was a lot less hectic for migrants than the frenzy of
Tuesday, yet in Central Park's north end early on, there were a good
number of birds about. I was able to come up with 16 species of
warblers in 2 hours of the early morning (5:45 - 7:45) which on a
weather day as this was isn't so bad - the more rare and/or uncommon
species went missing, although I did find a young (1st spring) male
Summer Tanager which was calling quite a bit, in the woods just east
of the Great Hill's e. edge (not far south of the Blockhouse) - in
contrast to the several male Scarlet Tanagers that were singing
(rather than just calling). The farthest north sections of the woods
were quite active with the most common migrants, while a bit farther
south seemed to contain a better mix of species. In Morningside Park,
pickings were thinner, or seemed so, but the weather was already
starting to look less productive with the temperature falling even by
about 7. I quickly "ran" thru and heard or saw a very modest variety
of the most common migrant species, then a rather abbreviated visit to
Riverside Park's farthest north fringes - including the area of woods
above & past the tennis courts, to about 122 St., which held modest
numbers of birds, but most noticeably at least several singing Scarlet
Tanagers. Farther south in Riverside it seemed quieter. Then it began
raining rather steadily with an increasing NW wind and temp's. back
into the 50's. I didn't fare too much differently later on in the day,
with the focus again on Central Park, going from north to south, but
at least there were birds in a lot of places, and a bit of activity
throughout, to the end of the day. It's pretty hard to compare this
day with the one before, with perhaps only one-tenth the number of
birders out & about, and the weather as it was. Even so, it seemed
likely that a great many birds moved on Tuesday night & yet, the day
was still quite good under any circumstances, for fair numbers of
migrants. It seems that the few who searched came up empty on re-
finding the most rare new migrants of Tuesday - such as Kentucky
Warbler or Yellow-throated Warbler as seen on Tuesday... & in a really
brief look about for the varied thrush, I had no luck on that mega,
which could have moved on with the huge wave, although it surprised
once or twice already in staying on thru earlier & modestly strong
migration nights here.  A Red-headed Woodpecker was still present in
the same area it's been in, south of the southeast part of Sheep
Meadow, just a bit west. I know that a few folks were on the Great
Hill specifically seeking Kentucky with no luck; I had tried those
same sections a short while before and also later on in the day, also
to no avail.  (That particular bird could re-surface, as the species
has sometimes stayed on in Central for many days, and occasionally
began to become more vocal after a number of days of silence.)

- - - - - -
Some interesting "elsewhere" bird reports of note include a current
report of Black-bellied Whistling Duck[s] in Massachusetts, and
ongoing reports of a male Garganey in southwest Ohio (with no one yet
chiming in on the bird being other than wild).  There was a Purple
Gallinule in the Washington DC area, in addition to one found a few
days earlier on the southeastern shore of Lake Erie, in Pennsylvania -
still being seen there Wed.  A female Ruff (also called a "reeve") was
found in a restricted section of a national wildlife refuge in
Stratford, Connecticut.   A number of Brown Pelican sightings have
surfaced far north of their typical range - a few in the Canadian
Maritimes amongst these. A lot of terns (of several expected species)
were moving today, as evidenced by many reports, from a lot of eastern
North America.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan