This morning I spotted five swallow species (barn, tree, northern
rough-wing, bank and cliff) at Flushing Meadows Corona Park. They were
present in large numbers around Meadow Lake and in other parts of the
park that I usually don't see them. They were perching on phragmites
in such numbers that the reeds were bending to the breaking point.

On Tuesday I spotted an American Bittern, my first in over three
years, in the phragmites next to Big John's Pond. I was walking
quietly on my way to the East Pond, and I heard an unusual bird call
coming from the reeds. After a few steps I saw some movement in the
reeds, so I stopped and looked. I saw the bittern for a minute or two
then it moved out of sight deeper into the phragmites.

On Monday I birded the mountain bike paths at Cunningham Park. In the
first ten minutes at the entrance on Francis Lewis Blvd. I saw four
warblers species, orioles and 2 thrush species. I think Cunningham
Park is an overlooked site for birding in Queens.