Tuesday, 17 May, 2011  -

Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

On returning to seek the male Boat-tailed Grackle I photographed in
Central Park earlier in the afternoon, i did not see it again, nor at
the Meer, another logical place to look given that the first couple of
sightings were at that place.  Early in the morning and again around
mid-day, I sought the overwintered Red-Headed Woodpecker south of
Sheep Meadow, but I did not see it, even on a second try and i'd guess
it's moved on.  Wet, windy and relatively quiet, as was more or less
expected.  I worked from Summit Rock (near W. 82-85 Sts.) to the Pond
& Hallett Sanctuary, before early rain came on fully again, and later
visited the reservoir & points north in lulls between heavier
showers.  The north end seemed a bit less active, although there were
some migrants and I did not do that thorough a tour of all the wooded
areas. The reservoir had fewer swallows (yet still many dozens,
primarily Barn) while the Meer showed an increase in swallows, with
also an impressive mass of Chimney Swifts feeding much higher.

Migrants were around in very minimal numbers, and that's likely to be
so here until this weather system pulls out.  In passing the Hallett
Sanctuary, I heard a few warblers sing, but no Mourning, this
morning.  In all, I came up with these dozen warbler species either
seen, or heard:  N. Parula, Yellow, Chestnut-sisded (2), Magnolia,
Black-throated Blue (2), Blackpoll (3), American Redstart, Ovenbird,
N. Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat (several), Canada, and Wilson's
Warbler[s].- roughly corresponding with the species I'd been seeing or
hearing most regularly here in the past few days. Also seen & heard
were a few Swainson's Thrush, Wood Thrush, and Veery, Warbling, Red-
eyed, and Yellow-throated (1) Vireo[s], Scarlet Tanager (females, and
a singing male near The Dene - E. 67 St.), & Baltimore Oriole (which
breed in the park).  Many of these were single birds, other than the
species noted above as more than (1). I'd also guess that many were in
the park the day before as well, and only the most localised movement
took place overnight, but there could have been a bit of exodus. This
list could appear to be a "lot" but it's almost as minimal as could be
for the date. A few days prior, let's say on Saturday there were
probably ten or more times the number of birds (migrants, that is) in
this park. Earlier still, there were far more.

-    -    -    -    -
Riverside Park (Manhattan) - was generally quiet in late morning (as
expected) but there were some migrants, and almost all that i
encountered were females (thus some of the quietude), with at least 7
warbler species seen (including Black-and-white, not noted by me in
Central, although likely present there, along with any number of other
lingering or straggling migrants),   or heard (a B.-t. Blue and C.
Yellowthroat), plus Great Crested Flycatcher and Scarlet Tanager
(female).

These past several days here have featured far fewer birds (in overall
numbers) than would typically be expected here for these dates, smack
in the midst of May. A lot had already moved on and into breeding
areas, yet there will be a further push of the later-arriving species
&/or stragglers. There has been tremendous movement in areas of
central & western NY, & farther west. A lot of the species that are
primarily insectivorous are struggling with feeding in some northern
areas as the chilly weather makes for a lot less food for them; that
should change by the coming weekend with sun reappearing and milder
weather.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan