Hi all,

I spent a couple hours watching Long Island Sound from Read Sanctuary in Rye
this afternoon during a break in the rain. Stiff easterly winds and rough
seas, but relatively good visibility out to a certain distance.

The highlight was a probable *Manx Shearwater *that made a brief appearance.
A smaller, visibly compact shearwater, dwarfed by surrounding gannets.
Classic arcing shearwater flight style; fast-moving and with very steep
arcs. The bird did not seem to flap at all--at least while arcing up (it
would disappear behind the high wave crests in the lowest part of the arc).
Distant and visible for less than a minute, but apparent uniform very cold
dark brown upperside and clean white underside. Too far to discern any more
fine patterning. I do not have *extensive* experience with shearwaters,
though I have seen well all the regularly expected species at close range,
and the size, shape, visible color, and time of year point to Manx, as far
as I can tell. (This is also the only shearwater species that has been
recorded in the past from Westchester county to my knowledge.)

A steady stream of terns flying by as well (40+), almost all Commons (one
Least), plus a couple dozen Northern Gannets (interestingly, no adults) and
one Bonaparte's Gull still in formative (1st-winter) plumage. The flight
direction for nearly all birds was from SW to NE. Semipalmated Plovers,
Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers, and Black-bellied Plovers (flybys) also
around.

Good birding,

Benjamin Van Doren
White Plains, NY