Wednesfay, 7 September 2011

Thanks in great part to a timely post by Joe DiCostanzo to ebirdsnyc,
I spent a bit of extra time in Central Park's (Manhattan, N.Y. City)
Ramble and was able to see the adult Red-headed Woodpecker that Joe
reported (with Chuck McAlexander & perhaps some additional observers)
- the woodpecker was not very easy to view well, in the part of the
Ramble that some of us took to calling the "Tupelo Meadow" which
refers to a large, fenced, tupelo tree in a lawn area in the Ramble, a
little ways north of the Azalea Pond.  Comes late word from Bob
Krinsky, a long-time park birder as well, that the adult Red-headed
was actually present as early as Monday - Labor Day, 9/5 - seen by
B.K. on that day in "roughly the same area" as it was  today. A very
modest assortment of more typical early Sept. migrants otherwise
graced the park in general in my somewhat limited wanderings in the
morning, a damp and notably cool one at that.  A lot of us anticipate
a good push in the next few nights with the current weather clearing!
We will see...

,-  -   -   -   -   -   -   -
Per the very recent upsurge of interest in a very common species to
lands south of Texas, here's a bit more on the Great Kiskadee's
overall range.  Incidentally in my travels through every state in
Mexico, as well as in a few other places in more recent years, I have
seen these birds be quite unafraid of humans and also (in a few towns
in Mexico, 18 years ago and since) have seen the species in cages, as
both "pets" and for sale as such - not often, but a few times there,
and as noted, some years back.  I wonder if there are any populations
that are thought to be at all migratory, such as in Argentina well
south of the equator - thus "austral" migrants which would be moving
north around this time just as our N. American-breeding migrant
tyrannidae head to more southerly latitudes.

http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/portal/species/distribution?p_p_spp=477836

Also, I might mention I stopped by the "Intrepid" this afternoon, and
spoke with one young man employed there, who mentioned - without my
asking - that a large cruise ship had been docked less than 10 city
blocks up the Hudson river, in "the past week" that had, as one of its
ports of call, Bermuda.  I would think the schedules of ships that
dock in Manhattan might be discoverable if anyone really felt it to be
of great enough interest - but in any case, as noted by at least 2
other NYC birders today, no kiskadees were found (by us) in the
vicinity.  There is a 4 p.m. closing time at the "Intrepid" (including
the free-admission public areas) and as might be understood,
government-issued photo ID is required, with a bag-check also very
likely, if entering.

(It's quite the feat to manage a Northern Wheatear and a Red Phalarope
in NY state in the same day, both photographed!... hats off to John
Haas of Sullivan County, who posted earlier.)

-    -     -     -     -    -
Thursday) my responses to his queries would be: 1. Yes.  2. Yes.  3
Yes.  4 Yes. 5  Yes.  - however I am familiar with the site of the
Croton-Harmon Metro-North Railroad Station.  Which also prompts a note
to all in range of that train system, the wheatear is eminently
"chaseable" via the train, with plenty of stations served, including
of course that in mid-town Manhattan, and direct service at most
hours.  The fares are not too steep either, even better for those in
the "senior" fare age class.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan