There were few birds on the barrier beaches this morning, but a few good ones. At Jones Beach West End, two Blue Grosbeaks were around the outer turn-around. Unfortunately I couldn't even open the car windows due to the swarm of mosquitos. At the Coast Guard Station there were two American Golden Plovers and five Common Eiders. At Robert Moses State Park an immature Red-headed Woodpecker flew by the hawk watch (as reported by Mary Normandia), and later I saw the bird at the Administration Building. It continued to fly west. A sea watch from the hawk watch platform resulted in a Cory's Shearwater and 9 Royal Terns.

Seth Ausubel
Forest Hills, NY