Saturday, 24 September 2011  -  Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

There were modest numbers (for the date) and a variety of migrants.
Cuckoos included several Yellow-billed, with a Black-billed apparently
reported from the Ranble as well.  There were at least 16 warbler
species - NO Connecticut though.  Modest numbers of Blackpoll were
still around.  Other species detected included a good movement of Blue
Jays in early morning, some N./Yellow-shafted Flickers, at least a few
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, a very modest number of thrushes, most of
which I saw being Swainson's (and American Robin in usual large
numbers), a first-of-fall (to me) Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and 5 species
of sparrow (although no Chipping for me) with a few Savannah, Swamp
and White-throated, plus Lincoln's (at the Maintenance Meadow area in
the Ramble) and Song.  Decent numbers of Scarlet Tanagers and Rose-
breasted Grosbeaks, plus a few Indigo Buntings, with some Chimney
Swifts and a couple of fly-over Bobolinks (7 a.m.) as well.  In
Riverside Park (Manhattan) I found it less active, at least in the
time I had there which to be fair was much later in the day.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo has been fairly well-reported from a number of
NYC parks, with multiples seen in some places.  Other migrants also
have been reported pushing through despite / because of the slow-
moving weather system on the nearby coastal region.   I was pleasantly
surprised by a nice passerine flock, mainly warblers, especially
Blackpolls, seen atop foggy Hook Mt. (near Nyack, Rockland Co.) early
Friday 9/23, before the rain came on.  Good Blackpoll Warbler numbers
seem to be fairly well reported locally of late, rather "on time".

Away from NY was a Townsend's Warbler well-reported last week from
Assateague National Seashore (Bayside camping area, in Maryland) - 2
photos available here: http://www.pbase.com/wcbirding/image/138141619
- and on Saturday (9/24), a Black-throated Gray Warbler was seen by
many birders at well-known Magee Marsh in northwestern Ohio.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan