We spent the morning and early afternoon birding at Caumsett State Park in
northwestern Suffolk County. The usual suspects were present, including decent
numbers of Fox Sparrows, Towhees, Hermit Thrushes, and Catbirds. A Turkey
Vulture was a nice find, although we have been seeing a single individual at
the park since mid-November. Great Egrets continue to hang in, we saw two today
and four at Sunken Meadow State Park on Thursday - I would not be surprised if
many LI Christmas Counts record them. We had three species of blackbirds
(Red-wing, Rusty, Common Grackle) as well. In keeping with the thread of exotic
species that has been on the listserve recently Sue and I were jolted by the
appearance of a European Goldfinch in the brush pile at Caumsett. It has been
years since I had seen this species on LI (once at a feeder in Long Beach if
memory serves) and I needed a field guide to corroborate my initial
identification. Well, times change and so do bird guides, Nat. Geo. did not
have the bird in the book (Sibley has it in the back of the book under "Exotic
Finches"). It was nice to get a splash of color after looking through numerous
brown sparrows, but a nice Fieldfare would have been better. A photo of the
Goldfinch can be seen at:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/

Ken Feustel