Another successful barrier beach run this evening:

I started out at Gilgo Beach and worked my way east. I did not see the
previously reported Gull-billed Tern. I ran into Bob Anderson who had the
bird around the same time that Pat had reported it. The Blue Grosbeak was
not in the area that I had previously located it.

A nice surprise was a fos *RED-EYED VIREO*. The bird was gleaning and
hawking within the shrubs along the south side of the east roadway. It was
located just past the "No Parking" sign. Also present were the same groups
of INDIGO BUNTINGS, roughly 10 individuals, this time all male.

A drive by at Oak Beach turned up a single female INDIGO BUNTING.

The highlight of my evening was a male *ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK* at Robert
Moses State Park. It was a 1st-year individual almost fully transitioned
into its adult plumage. It was foraging on the ground with 3 American
Robins roughly 200 yards west of the entrance to Field #4. Other than that,
the rest of the park seemed quiet. Some decent iPhone digiscope images of
the Rose-breasted can be seen at my Flickr site.

Best,

Derek Rogers
Sayville
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39025168@N07/