Today, at the North Fork Preserve, Jamesport,  I had my FOY Philadelphia Vireo
- this coming before seeing or hearing a Red-eyed Vireo...what gives?  The bird
was on the e/s of the dirt trail, that takes you past the vernal ponds, a short
distance n/o the grass trail that leads to the fresh water pond on e/s of
property. The vernal ponds were "quiet", so I decided to re-trace my steps to
meet up with Tom Moran (our signals got crossed) which should have happened ~
50 minutes earlier. Prior to this coming about however, I met Nancy Gilbert &
Richard Wines, and while we were chatting, they proceeded to point out a pair
of FOY Rose-breasted Grosbeaks...fittingly, Richard, first with a male,
followed by Nancy with a female. I then told them of my good fortune,
whereupon, looking at each other, they posed the question..."could this be the
bird we couldn't identify ? After checking a field guide, they were sure it
was! After leaving them, Tom and I finally "collided", spent some time looking
for the PHVI (N.G.) and headed out to Moore's Woods in Greenport.
Once in the woods proper, we were greeted by 4 Rusty Blackbirds, but nothing
much else, until we met up with Jody Levin & Hank Bohne... who had just seen a
Great Horned Owl, and proceeded to get us on the bird, as well ! I've since
learned, that after we took off, Jody & Hank found a Prothonatary Warbler, at a
spot we had passed previously!
Today, turned out to be a 2 GHOW day ! Parting with Tom, after a very quiet,
quick look-in at Bald Hill, Riverhead, I ended the day At the Quogue Wildlife
Refuge, where the Great Horned Owlette is progressing nicely. I've since
learned however, that Tom, who had a 1500 appointment in the Hamlet of
Brookhaven, found one sure, adult, Bald Eagle, along with 2 other probables,
flying over the Carmens River !
Cheers,Bob