As a result of the accelerated migration this Spring Sue and I decided to bird
various upstate locations a week and a half earlier than usual. Our first stop
was Basherkill WMA, where from Haven Road we observed a few Common Gallinules
and many Wood Ducks. After crossing the marsh and parking along the road some
local birders quickly alerted us to the presence of a singing Golden-winged
Warbler which we quickly found. Along the trail on the south side of the marsh
we encountered American Bittern and Virginia Rail. Further south along the east
side of Basherkill we finally located, with the able assistance of a local
birder, a Cerulean Warbler, singing an atypical song. We tallied sixteen
species of warblers at Basherkill. At Blue Chip Farm (BCF) we found, after
considerable scanning, an Upland Sandpiper, as viewed from the east side of
Hoagerburgh Road looking east into the BCF paddocks. At Shawangunk NWR there
were small numbers of Bobolinks and Eastern Meadowlarks. Until site work is
completed and the grasslands restored, we would expect lower numbers of these
resident species. We did not stop at the county park that borders the north
side of the wildlife refuge, there may still be more suitable habitat there.

Good Birding,

Ken & Sue Feustel