We arrived at RMSP this morning in the hope of finding migrants after
listening to the overnight weather report that forecast light
northwest winds. What we found at first was fog - lots of fog. Birding
started out slowly at the golf course, but we were eventually able to
see a good variety of sparrows, including two Clay-colored and one
Lincoln's Sparrow. As the fog lifted birds starting moving down the
beach, highlighted by Yellow-rumped Warblers and Pine Siskins. Siskins
continued down the beach all morning - we eventually tallied 129
birds. Other birds moving down the beach in number were Eastern
Phoebe, Cedar Waxwing, and Goldfinch. We heard two Dickcissels
calling, as well as observing two colorful Bobolinks in the shrubbery
at the main entrance to Field 2. As the birding died down the
butterflies (Red Admiral, Monarch, Mourning Cloak, and Painted Lady,
among others) and dragonflies (mostly Common Green Darner and Black
Saddlebags) started moving down the beach in number. By late morning
the temperature was approaching August-like levels and we called it a
day.

Ken & Sue Feustel