Unlike Ken and Sue, I had no clue that there would be a flight overnight and
into the morning, so I spent the morning working at home. But what I lack in
perspicacity I make up for with proximity, so I was able to run right down to
the beach soon after Patricia Lindsay called to tell me that it was hopping.

Arriving as late as 10:15, I was amazed to see a moderately heavy morning
flight still ongoing, despite the absence of anything like a strong nw wind.
The flight finally weakened noticeably around noon, but in two hours of
dedicated flight-watching, we tallied some very interesting things.

(full eBird list here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11720633)

For one thing, this fall is evidently a flight year for what I call the
"woodland resident" cohort, as we saw multiple Red-bellied Woodpeckers,
White-breasted Nuthatches, and Blue Jays--species scarce to absent on the outer
beach in most years, but which undertake irruptions from time to time. The
Red-breasted Nuthatches are continuing their invasion, with at least 21 prior
to my arrival, plus 28 more during my watch, and my two-hour tally of Pine
Siskins was 307, a very good number for so early in the season.

There were also a lot of Neotropicals still on the move. I counted 8 Blackpoll
Warblers 10:15-12:15, but Pat had seen 20 before I arrived, and there were
surely many more among the 100+ unidentified warblers we saw collectively. Most
notable in this category were a very late Orchard Oriole (my latest ever, by
almost a month) and a Northern Rough-winged Swallow--my latest coastal record
by more than a month.

I heard my first Lapland Longspur of the season rattle three times as it
passed, but I was never able to find it visually. We also saw four Caspian
Terns passing on the inlet side, and Pat found locally scarce Marsh Wren,
Lincoln's Sparrow, and Dickcissel either before I arrived or while I was
staring at the sky.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

Washington
Monthly<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septemberoctober_2012/features/americas_bestbangforthebuck_co039461.php>
 magazine ranks the College of Staten Island as one of "America's
Best-Bang-for-the-Buck Colleges"