The BLUE GROSBEAK was seen again today at Kissena Corridor (probably better
by Jeff Ritter than me), by the paved path that crosses at 148th Street.
Also in this vicinity were a Winter Wren, up to 10 Fox Sparrows, a Nashville
Warbler, and what in a brief look appeared to be a Tennessee Warbler. When I
first arrived, a flock of 7 Eastern Bluebirds passed overhead, probably on
their way to join in the coastal flight that I'm sure was taking place (but
I couldn't enjoy due to storm related issues). A couple of separate
Bluebirds did touch down in the corridor. I kept an eye on a crab apple tree
at the western end of the corridor that was popular with robins, starlings,
and House Finches, as a potential grosbeak attraction (although that might
be more of a Pine than Evening Grosbeak thing).

I haven't abandoned hope on the Virginia's, especially since the spot is so
close to home. A brief check today yielded a Blackpoll Warbler and another
late surprise in the form of a Red-eyed Vireo. At the other end of Alley
Pond Park, by Oakland Lake, migrant influx was evidenced by several Palm and
Yellow-rumped Warblers, as well as a Nashville Warbler. To add to the
comments yesterday on Nashvilles still coming down from points north, I
believe that western Nashvilles could be in the mix at this stage of the
season. I was able to photograph the one at Kissena. It's a dull immature,
but gray extending well down the back might be indicative of a western bird
(or just a dull eastern).

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY