Saturday, 22 December, 2012 - Manhattan, N.Y. City

At Central Park's reservoir, an Iceland Gull continues, seen very nicely on the
dike not far off the dike's north end, among many ofv the 3 regular gull
species (primarily Ring-billed, some Herring & Great Black-backed), and
observed from a point on the running path about 50 feet west of the N. building
at the reservoir - at the time of observing, I enjoyed full and very good views
of this gull.  (NB, some, or indeed all, of the gulls that come to the
reservoir on a near-daily basis do NOT usually stay there overnight, and
seeking gulls at the CP reservoir may be more productive in mid-day hours. In
any case gulls regularly come & go there & the maximum numbers of gulls seems
often to be after 9, or later, in the morning and may also be before late
afternoon... this varies somewhat day-to-day, & of course seasonally.) This
individual is quite obvious if seen well, but certainly could also be hunkered
in close with the many other gulls and thus require more time to find. I did
not seek, and did not notice, an American Wigeon reported at the reservoir on
Friday but it could easily have been present again - many ducks & some Canada
Geese were loafing near the SW corner of the reservoir in the noon hour.

At Carl Shurz Park, off East End Ave. and between 84th and 92 Streets (I
checked mainly in the portions between 86th and 90th), I did not see any
hunmingbird, but did run into a local birder who mentioned a few of the recent
sightings (a presumed Selasphorus, by those who saw & reported that).  In the
90 minutes of poking around that park, I did see a Hermit Thrush, and 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers having quite the little territorial dispute for
"drilling rights" in various trees. Otherwise, the park seemed a little quiet
in overall bird activity.  A quick look up the East River and area waters
revealed a modest flock of Atlantic Brant, along with a very few other
waterfowl, gulls of the regular 3 spp. and a few Double-crested Cormorants. A
female Peregrine was atop the western tower of the RFK (mostly still called
Triborough) bridge off W. 125 St.  One additional note on Carl Shurz Park &
potentially wintering hummingbirds there - barely any flowers of use to a
hummer seem to be left, yet there just might be a roof or patio garden
somewhere in the neighborhood and it is certainly possible that such a bird is
still nearby, & could still visit an area or areas it may have frequented in
the past weeks or more.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan