Motivated by Doug Gochfeld's report of alcids in Brooklyn yesterday, Heydi
Lopes and I went to Coney Island this morning hoping to find some good birds.
Using the bath house on the boardwalk at the end of Stillwell Avenue as a
windbreak, we scanned the water from 8am to around 11am. Braving the cold paid
off early when a Dovekie flew in from the East, heading West, only about 20 or
30 feet from the shore. It veered South briefly to fly around the Steeplechase
Pier. Keir Randall joined us a short time after that, and while we never saw
another Dovekie, we did tallied 7 Razorbills, some of which landed in the water
off the jetties in that location. Other birds of possible interest were many
flocks of Long-tailed Ducks, a good number of Bonaparte's Gulls, several
Northern Gannets and a pair of Purple Sandpipers. We briefly considered heading
to the Western-most jetty to continue scanning for alcids, but there's only so
much sandblasting one can take.

Good birding,

Rob

http://citybirder.blogspot.com