Good morning,

Tom, Jessie and I received some secondhand communications from Connecticut
that someone in New York did lose a Common Pochard that fits this
description.

We also solicited some feedback from the BTO (British Trust for
Ornithology) on the band given the organizations expertise and involvement
in Euring. Lee Barber who is the recoveries officer for BTO pointed out was
that the ring is quite thin and you can't see the split on the ring (which
may just be on the other side). The consensus at BTO is that it is probably
hard to tell for certain, but the narrowness of the ring is disturbing.

BTO maintains an excellent website of banding (ringing) recoveries, which
is certainly worth examining. Here is a link to that of Common Pochard.

http://blx1.bto.org/ring/countyrec/resultsall/rec1980all.htm

Hopefully this won't discourage people from going to see the birds in this
area. The concentration of birds that is among the best that I've seen
anywhere in the Northeast and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in
the spectacle. While the presumed origin of this bird is disappointing, the
diversity of other waterfowl in the area is great including Tufted Duck and
multiple Barrow's Goldeneye and hybrid Barrow's x Common Goldeneye. I can
say that this was easily one of the most enjoyable trips we've had in the
last few years and hopefully others will think about going birding there --
with enough coverage, perhaps we can find a Smew.

Good birding in 2013 to everyone.

Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu