With the cluster of rare waterfowl being seen in this location, and the
indication that at least the Pochard is an escapee it would be good to know
what other birds, if any, the owner of the Pochard might have lost.  In my
mind, the cluster of rare and attractive waterfowl with a known escapee calls
into question the provenance of all the rare species at the site.

Has anyone taken close looks at the legs of any of the other rare birds here?

Michael R. Wasilco
Regional Wildlife Manager
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Region 8 Bureau of Wildlife
6274 East Avon-Lima Road
Avon, NY  14414
(585)226-5460
>>> Christopher Wood <chris.w...@cornell.edu> 1/7/2013 11:34 AM >>>
Good morning,

Tom, Jessie and I received some secondhand communications from Connecticut that
someone in New York did lose a Common Pochard that fits this description.

We also solicited some feedback from the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) on
the band given the organizations expertise and involvement in Euring. Lee
Barber who is the recoveries officer for BTO pointed out was that the ring is
quite thin and you can't see the split on the ring (which may just be on the
other side). The consensus at BTO is that it is probably hard to tell for
certain, but the narrowness of the ring is disturbing.

BTO maintains an excellent website of banding (ringing) recoveries, which is
certainly worth examining. Here is a link to that of Common Pochard.

http://blx1.bto.org/ring/countyrec/resultsall/rec1980all.htm

Hopefully this won't discourage people from going to see the birds in this
area. The concentration of birds that is among the best that I've seen anywhere
in the Northeast and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the
spectacle. While the presumed origin of this bird is disappointing, the
diversity of other waterfowl in the area is great including Tufted Duck and
multiple Barrow's Goldeneye and hybrid Barrow's x Common Goldeneye. I can say
that this was easily one of the most enjoyable trips we've had in the last few
years and hopefully others will think about going birding there -- with enough
coverage, perhaps we can find a Smew.

Good birding in 2013 to everyone.

Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu