Hi All,

In the flickr link below is one of Nadir's better photos of this bird. I don't
have much experience with the mew/common gull complex, but to me this bird
appears to be a rather heavily mottled, pale-billed ring-billed gull. The bill
doesn't strike me as very fine, nor the head very rounded.

Also in the link are some Great Gray Owl photos I took this weekend near
Montreal. Around the Morgan Arboretum and Cape Saint Jacques, about half an
hour west of downtown, there are a series of field complexes where some fellow
Western MA student birders and I had some incredible encounters with four
entirely tame Great Grays. Though not in New York, I'd strongly recommend the
trip. In the same area we encountered hundreds of Bohemian Waxwings and a few
Hoary Redpolls as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58638795@N08/

Good Birding,
Jacob Drucker