This morning I hit a few places around the Brooklyn coast and Jamaica Bay
looking for migrants, and while numbers of fresh migrants weren't high, there
were a few around.

At Coney Island, a Brown Thrasher in the weedy vacant lot at 35th St. was my
first migrant of that species in NY this year. It was getting chased around by
the Northern Mockingbird that owns that particular fence-line.

At Jamaica Bay WIldlife Refuge, the only migrant species of much note was a
drake Blue-winged Teal at the NE corner of the West Pond. There were also over
40 Green-winged Teal(s?) on the pond, and all of the males were of the
"American" race.

The "best" bird of the day was a Chimney Swift that flew by Owls Head Park in
Brooklyn, heading south. While this isn't the state early date (That's March 30
(Bull's), as far as I could tell in my very brief research), it is a week or
two earlier than the usual arrival date. I'll add photos to the checklist below
a bit later.

Now where did all those Lapwings that were south of us vanish to?

Good Hunting
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.