In spite of the cool and very windy conditions, I had a pretty productive day
in Prospect Park (I was outside in the park all day for work).
There were large numbers of Red-winged Blackbirds and American Robins
everywhere, including some big, dark individuals of the latter that I suspect
are heading to Atlantic Canada.  Also seen were numerous Eastern Phoebes: at on
point on the Peninsula I had 5 in one tree.  Overall I'd say I spotted at least
a dozen.A nice bright male Pine Warbler was working the trees near the Binnen
Pool.
My best sighting of the day was a Louisiana Waterthrush bobbing and wagging
along the retaining wall at the edge of the Peninsula, just to the south of the
fishing beach.  There was also a flock of 5 Ruddy Ducks; the males have molted
into their beautiful breeding plumage.Swooping over the Lullwater was a mixed
flock of Tree and FOY Barn Swallows.
Near the Boathouse there was an Osprey soaring overhead along with several
Red-tailed Hawks.  While I was standing there, an object fell from the sky at
great speed and hit the ground with an audible thump.  I thought it was a
high-tossed football.  But then it sat up and revealed itself as a male
American Kestrel.  He lifted off with a sparrow of some sort in his tallons,
calling a victorious "kli-kli-kli-kli".  Impressive.
Tomorrow I begin my twice-weekly walks in Bryant Park; hopefully there will be
some migrants to see there as well.
Happy Spring,
Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon