Edith Wilson just sent me a photo of the Yellow-headed Blackbird that was
present at the Fire Island hawkwatch yesterday, and she has kindly allowed me
to post it on my picasa site. Comparing it to the bird I found later in the
morning at Captree SP, they are basically similar. Both appear to be immature
females, consistent with Bob Kurtz's field impression of the Fire Island bird
and mine of the Captree bird (which was furthermore very small for a YH
Blackbird, being comparable in size to a male Brown-headed Cowbird). I suspect,
however, that they are different individuals, based on the Captree bird's
seemingly less extensive white belly streaking, bolder yellow supercilium, and
bolder white eye arcs.

Given that photos can be misleading, I'd be curious to know whether others
agree with my assessment that there were two birds.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore
Photos at the end of this album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109808209543611018404/LongIslandMiscellany2013#