There were a pair of Horned Larks on the southeast corner of the Van Courtland
Park Parade Grounds, which were well seen by all of the birders in attendance
of the NYC Audubon bird walk that I led this morning. Other highlights from
today include another early migrant, American Pipit, which I discovered in the
same area as the Horned Larks, a few hours after the walk officially ended, and
a Merlin pursuing a Tringa sp. Sandpiper on the wing high above Broadway. As
the Merlin appeared just slightly longer winged than its prey and the stiff
flight style it displayed, it was probably a Solitary Sandpiper, though I could
not rule out Lesser Yellowlegs at that distance. A real treat. Below is my
complete eBird checklist from today's outing.

Keep'em up!

Nadir Souirgi