This is a forwarded message from Michael Gochfeld:

This afternoon, I was driving along the north shore of the Mohawk, when I was
 surprised to find two Sandhill Cranes roosting in
the backwater very close to the road.  The birds were not nervous at all.Only
about 50ft away.  Although these were my first NY Cranes, I did a quick web
search, and apparently this same pair has been seen in this same place
previously (at least back in January).  I don't know if there are more recent
records, but these are really cooperative.  I expect they will stay
at this spot until a little after sunrise. Presumably this is a habitual roost
spot (within a couple hundred yards of where they roosted in January).

The location is TOWPATH ROAD  0.4 miles west of the junction with  BEACH ROAD,
at which point
TOWPATH  becomes CANAL ROAD in the town of HALF MOON (Saratoga County)

The access is probably from Route 9.  just immediately north of the Mohawk
River.