I have observed 13 Snowy Owls in the past 3 days, and 21 different
individuals so far this winter.  I keep wondering if I will ever again
experience such a remarkable irruption for this species in my lifetime.  I
have observed a trend in my sightings - most occurred between 1 and 4:30
p.m.  It appears that they mostly roost through the morning hours, but
actively hunt in the afternoons.  The few individuals I have found in the
a.m. hours were roosting with closed eyes.  I have observed the owls perched
on silos, telephone poles, metal and wooden fence posts, trees, the ground,
and bales of hay.

1/3/14 Clinton Co.

Sean O'Brien and I found two Snowy Owls in the location where Paul Osenbaugh
has posted them in Plattsburgh.

1/4/14 Upper St. Lawrence Valley locations (Canton-Hammond-Clayton-Cape
Vincent to Chaumont; southern St. Lawrence Co. to northern Jefferson Co.)

Some of the species found:

Snow Goose - several on the Oswegatchie River

Amer. Black Duck - ~30 on the Oswegatchie River

Bald Eagle - 2 adult flying together at the Rt 68 and Rt 11 intersection in
Canton

Red-tailed Hawk - 3

Rough-legged Hawk - 5 (photo of one on my Facebook page below)

Snowy Owl - 6 (1 in southern St. Lawrence Co. in Morristown and 5 in
northern Jefferson Co. from Cape Vincent to Chaumont) (Several photos on my
Facebook page below)  Four of the six were in groups of 2, with one pair
interacting in the air.  One of the Snowy Owls was observed chasing a light
morph Rough-legged Hawk.

Horned Lark - many

Snow Bunting - hundreds on Scotch Bush Road near the Rt 6 intersection in
Morristown

Point Peninsula was spectacular and wild.  The wind was so ferocious that I
could hardly stand up.  I posted a photo to my Facebook page of the sunset
over Lake Ontario from Pt. Peninsula (in contrast to one I took at the same
location nearly a month ago).

1/5/14 Westport (Essex Co.) and Addison, VT

Mario Davalos, a remarkable artist/photographer from the Dominican Republic,
and I birded the Westport area and then visited Addison, Vt.  We found open
water at Westport on Lake Champlain.  The sky was filled with gulls.  A solo
Common Loon was on the lake in addition to other waterfowl.  An upside down
Ring-billed Gull on the ice appeared to be dead, but then began moving its
head.  There was a great deal of blood on the ice and it was an awful sight.
There was a young Bald Eagle flying over the water and a Red-tailed Hawk
vocalized several times nearby.  I am not sure what attached the gull, but
it was awful to see it suffering.

Here are some of the other sightings:

Red-tailed Hawk - many

Rough-legged Hawk - many (3/4 were light morph)

Snowy Owl - 5 in locations posted to the VT list serve (one photo on my
Facebook page below)

Horned Lark - many

Eastern Bluebird - many!

Snow Bunting - many

We also observed a howling Coyote in the middle of the day.

It was nice to run into Nina Schoch and Audrey Hyson in Vermont!  There were
many birders in Addison and I was able to offer scope views of Snowy Owls to
young children (& adolescents) out with their parents to see the owls.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home