Today was the first opportunity I've had to spend more than an hour doing
some birding, in quite awhile ! Thanks to all who preceded me, allowing me
to "chase" down your reports, getting some good birds, along the way !

Starting at the Jamesport location (which turned out to be the eastern
entrance to the North Fork Preserve) I found 4 Turkey Vultures working
on the deer carcass, with another 12 perched nearby, plus a single,
perched Black Vulture. I watched for ~ 1/2 hour, and while there was some
"changing of the guard" among the T.V's., the smaller Black stayed treed. I
also noticed that all of the birds working on the carcass were pulling on
the open end of the deer, which by then seemed to be "meatless". The intact
end of the animal was constantly being pulled at by a revolving cast,
but not one of them was able to make an entry way. I was reminded of one of
those African nature specials, which very graphically, points out the need
for different size vultures (with their different size and shaped bills) to
make everybody happy...where's a Condor when you need one ?

This joyous occasion was followed by a semi-annual stop at Riverhead Town
Hall  to pay taxes - a not so joyous occasion !

Hoping for some more joy, I headed toward Shinnicock Inlet. I tried for the
Hampton Bays Railroad Station/ Water Authority Ravens en-route, but did not
find any. Arriving at the inlet, I was greeted by the immature Glaucous
Gull, who was walking between the west breakwater and the big parking lot.
Also waiting for me was a Great Cormorant atop the tower at the end of the
jetty. It's white thigh patch (normally a breeding plumage marker) was
starting to show. I then turned my attention to the flock of sea ducks that
have frequented the inlet, while extending ~100 yards to the west. The
water itself was rough, with the birds playing hide & seek while riding the
large swells, when not diving. All 3 scoters were there, as well as C.
Eiders  and Red-breasted Mergansers. I had not been able to nail down a K.
Eider before Menachem Goldstein and his mom, Karen, arrived on the scene.
It didn't take Menachem too long to find a female, and then a 1st
winter male. For the next 30-45 minutes he got one or the other a couple of
times, until finally, a 1st winter male popped into my scope, and actually
stayed put for ~ 3 seconds ! Before we left, as the rain became heavier,
Menachem also found an Iceland Gull, in addition to the afore mentioned
Glaucous Gull. Spending time with the Goldsteins once again, was also a joy
!

Cheers, and a joyous New Year,
Bob