To further elaborate on Angus' post of yesterday, the "warm, brown" color of
these birds is a much better fit for female Boat-tails than Rusty
Blackbirds. Winter Rustys tend  towards gray, rather than brown and even in
fall birds which have a lot of brown to them, the brown color is on the
feather edges giving them a scalloped look rather than the uniform coloring
of the birds in your photos. Additionally, most Rustys should show a fairly
prominent yellow eye rather than the dark eyes on most of these birds. Also
fall/winter Rustys would generally show some sort of supercilium, which
appears to be totally lacking in your birds. I also agree with Angus that
the birds which best show their bills in profile have a bill that looks much
more grackle like than the shorter bill of a Rusty. I can understand the
difficulty some are having with the tail length, but first, remember, female
Boat-tails have shorter tails than males and second, immatures, which many
of these birds may be, tend to have shorter tails than adults.  Finally, as
Angus also points out the location/habitat for these birds is exactly where
you would expect to find a flock of Boat-tailed Grackle on Long Island in
winter and is all wrong for Rusty Blackbird and the number of birds you
report might well be unprecedented for Long Island in midwinter.

Joe DiCostanzo

 <http://www.greatgullisland.org> www.greatgullisland.org