We traveled to Rockville Center today for the annual St. Agnes Mass &
Basketball Awards Night, due to our grandsons (# 2 Bobby and # 3
Brendan) participation in the Diocese's CYO League. Since this was
scheduled to start at 5 P.M., I had ample time before, to get a little
birding in, trying for the 2 Screech Owls and single Red-necked Grebe,
previously reported from Nassau's South Shore.

Upon arriving at my daughter's home in RVC, I was quite surprised, when my
offer (to one and all) to accompany me, as I looked for the owls & grebe,
was turned down, by young & old alike ! Undaunted, I headed back east,
using the fine directions provided by Richard Haimes. Once on site, finding
the Red-necked was almost as easy as finding the nearby presence of Birding
Couple # 1, Andrew Baksh & Andrea ?, and Birding Couple # 2, John &  Gloria
Turner. While socializing, both couples gave me good info re: the Owl,s
locations.

Armed with this fresh "intel", I nevertheless, was struggling to find the
correct nest (?) holes, when Andrew & Angela miraculously came upon the
seen, and graciously pointed out the hole with the Red Morph in it, and
then the hole with the Gray Morph in it ! As I took photos of the birds, I
was reminded of the first, and only other time I saw both morphs in such
close proximity to one another, that being at Joel & Peggy Horman's nest
boxes in Ridge, a few years ago.

Later, at the Awards Diner, many boys received awards, including our two
guys, but I couldn't help but wonder of the awards they didn't try for
earlier in the woods !

Cheers,
Bob