Despite the date, a mornings birding at Jones Beach State Park yielded a nice
winter bird list. We started out at the West End Boat Basin, where a few
breeding-plumaged Horned Grebes were the highlight. We then headed over to the
Fisherman’s parking lot, birding along the Inlet jetty.  The Red-necked Grebe
was still present at the mouth of the Inlet, and a Piping Plover was sitting on
the jetty. At the south end of the jetty we saw our first Northern Gannets
(two) since January. There was a steady stream of Tree Swallows in groups of
2-3 crossing the Inlet from Pt. Lookout. At the end of the jetty were five
Harlequin Ducks. In the dune area west of the parking lot a small number of
Tree Sparrows continued. Walking back on the north side of the parkway towards
the boat basin we spied the Northern Shrike perched up in the trees between the
Fisherman’s parking lot and the parkway. A search of Zach’s Bay area was not
particularly productive, a lone Merlin being the only bird of interest.

Think Spring!

Ken & Sue Feustel