Somewhat status-quo, for birds; but maybe more swallows...

Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City - Wednesday, 16 April, 2014

A Red-necked Grebe in near-full breeding plumage continues at the reservoir. A bright male Pine Warbler was around the n. slope at Strawberry Fields quite early (& thanks to that other early-bird who alerted me to it). The feeders attracted both of the overwintered Baltimore Orioles, & other recent regulars (in the Ramble). At the Meer, a selection of Swallows included at least 6 N. Rough-winged, several Tree, and a few Barn, & the drake Wood Duck maintained its spot on the east shore there; 8 Ruddy Ducks are gaining some spring plumage. I had a tough time finding any other insectivorous birds aside from those mentioned & a few Ruby-crowned & Golden-crowned Kinglets. Eastern Towhees & Brown Thrashers again in locations as they had been thru the winter... look for the arrivals of those & many other species within the coming week.

Good "what was that cold wet white stuff on the lawns this morning?" birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan