Hi John,

This following excerpt written by Lars Jonsson - Alula 3/1998, is taken
from Gullresearch.org a site that Phil Jeffery offered up earlier in his
response. I have bolded the area that might interest you.

*Herring Gulls L. argentatus (major/omissus) with yellow legs*

There are Herring Gulls in the Baltic region with specific features worth
keeping in mind when discussing the identification of *cachinnans* and
*michahellis*. The yellow-legged element, usually referred to as
Yellow-legged Herring Gulls, or *omissus*, is a widely discussed subject
among gull taxonomists, on which I can not resist giving some personal
views. In the following discussion I basically refer to the statistic
material presented by Barth 1968 & 1975, Kilpi & Hario 1968, Mierauskas
1991, Greimas & Buzun 1991, Hario 1997 and my own material from specimen
collections, as well as field studies from Gotland and other areas of
Europe.

*From Barth's work we can conclude that yellow-legged individuals are
present throughout the whole of Scandinavia. They are however much more
common at certain localities than others and there is a south-west
(grey-pink) and north-east or east-north-east (yellow) cline. We still do
not have a solution as to why some argentatus have yellow legs and others
not, but it may simply be diet-related.* The yellow element among Herring
Gulls seems to be more common in areas with a predominating fresh or
brackish water habitat. In the Baltic Sea, with its brackish water,
anything from 10-75 % of the population in the breeding colonies were
recorded as having more or less yellowish legs. It may be that yellow legs
did predominate in the past at inland localities in the Balticum, parts of
Finland and north-west Russia (Kumari 1978). At Lake Saimaa in Finland 100%
showed yellowish legs in samples dating back to the l950’s (Barth 1968) and
at the Teichu raised peat bogs in Latvia yellow-legged birds still
constituted two-thirds of the population in samples from 1987-90
(Mierauskas *et al.* 1991). The yellow (as well as orange and red) colour
is caused by carotenoids and Lonnberg (1933) found such substances in
Herring Gulls with pink legs as well. However it seems reasonable to assume
that there is an element of genetic inheritance for developing yellow legs
which are stronger in these areas. The percentage of birds with yellow legs
within a colony also varies between different years (Hario 1997). It is
quite possible that the leg colour can shift back and forth on one
individual, as this happens in Common Gull *Larus canus* (Rattiste *pers.
comm*.). It is also well known that the colour of the legs, bill, and
orbital ring changes with age and season. Mierauskas *et al.* (1991) have
shown that:
1) The Herring Gulls breeding on peat bogs in Latvia (Teichu) show some
differences from the coastal breeding birds (St Petersburg) in having a
longer bill, longer wing, longer tarsus and middle toe.
2) Studies of vocalisation and behaviour (and wingtip pattern) have not, so
far, upheld the theory that the Baltic yellow-legged gulls are related,
closely or distantly, to *cachinnans* from the Aralo-Caspian area. On the
contrary, the results support a treatment of cachinnans and argentatus as
separate species.

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire