7/7/15 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

My younger son came home at 12:15 a.m. and announced that a Black Bear was
near our garage!  We had cooked outside on the grill, and at this time of
year, it often attracts bears.

Late this afternoon (4 p.m.), I drove to Sabattis Circle Road.  I found a
Ruffed Grouse standing in the road - it stood guard as its young crossed the
road!  The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker nest that I found on 7/5/15 was still
active with a very loud baby at the nest hole.  I was putting down raisins
and bread under a tree at Sabattis Bog when I heard the soft vocalizations
of Gray Jays - I looked up and there were 4 Gray Jays perched above me.  I
find their social structure fascinating.  Since the pair I fed all winter
raised one baby, they have been joined by a 3rd adult bird - so they are now
a group of 3 adults and 1 juvenile.  As I photographed the Gray Jays, a
Black-backed Woodpecker flew in calling - annoyed by the Gray Jay presence.
(I posted Gray Jay photos on my Facebook page.)  Lincoln's Sparrows were
singing away in the bog.

7/5/15 Long Lake

A Merlin was hunting in our backyard.  I found an active Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker nest along Sabattis Circle Road (photos on Facebook).

On a 7/3/15 tour with Robin and Lowell Taubman from Long Island, we found 63
species visiting Whiteface Mountain at dawn, Bloomingdale locations, and an
area in Santa Clara.  Bicknell's Thrushes were carrying food for young
including the neon green caterpillars that I've observed them carrying in
prior years during July.  Here is our list:

Canada Goose

Common Loon - 4, including two chicks

Turkey Vulture

Northern Harrier - 2 different birds (male and female)

Broad-winged Hawk

Wilson's Snipe - many

Ring-billed Gull

Mourning Dove

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - female

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - at least 8! Including tame birds that came to hands for food.

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven - nice views!

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow - colony with adorable young!

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - at least 3!

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - nice views of foraging birds!  (Including a bird
carrying a neon-green caterpillar)

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Indigo Bunting

Bobolink

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

We also found a beautiful Red Fox north of Saranac Lake!

On a June 30, 2015 tour with a birder from Rochester, we found 67 species by
visiting Whiteface Mountain at dawn, Bloomingdale locations, Spring Pond
Bog, and Sabattis Circle Road.  Here is our list:

Canada Goose

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Common Loon

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 heard

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - at least 5

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 3 (nice views of a pair)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - nice view!

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler - views

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Indigo Bunting

Red-winged Blackbird

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

We also observed a young Black Bear on Sabattis Circle Road!

Joan Collins

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell