I led a Linnaean Society trip to Jamaica Bay today. It was a gorgeous,
though breezy day. Easily the highlight were two Cave Swallows flying around
the Broad Channel subway station in mid-day. The group was finishing lunch
at the refuge when one person who had headed down to the subway to go home
(Elijah ?) called to say he was watching a couple of Cave Swallows at the
station while waiting for the train. The whole group dashed down to the
station and everyone was able to see the birds. Other highlights at the
refuge were 100+ Snow Geese, 3 Redhead (2 males, 1 female), 2 Ring-necked
Ducks (subadult males) and the usual waterfowl all on the East Pond; a
female Wood Duck at Big John's Pond, a bright Wilson's Warbler by the
beginning of the boardwalk to Big John's Pond, a somewhat late Snowy Egret
on the East Pond, 3 American Oystercatchers on the mudflats northeast of the
subway station and Dunlin and Black-bellied Plover still around.

After leaving Broad Channel, Dale Dancis, Ann Shaw and I headed south the
Riis Park and Fort Tilden. Just after we crossed the south channel bridge
and headed west on Beach Channel Drive, Don Riepe called with a report of a
White Pelican flying south over the West Pond at the Refuge - I have no
further details. We kept scanning the skies, but never saw it.

By the fisherman's parking lot in Fort Tilden (just east of the Silver Gull
Club) we had 2 more Cave Swallows. Later at Riis Park we had a group of 8
Snow Buntings go over.

Joe DiCostanzo

www.greatgullisland.org <http://www.greatgullisland.org/>

www.inwoodbirder.blogspot.com