It has come to our attention that at least one individual has been
attempting to lure the Painted Bunting with meal worms, ostensibly to get a
better photograph opportunity.  PABU, being a seed eater with a plentiful
supply of food on the Lefrak Greenroof, has no need of supplemental
nutrition and inappropriate feeding could potentially interfere with his
impulse to leave for warmer climes should the weather around here turn
really nasty.

Many of the people who still come to see the PP-PABU come from the general
public and photographer populations and may have little acquaintance with
the ethics of birding hammered out by countless birder hours in the field.
As members of the birding community it behooves us to try and educate
people a bit on birding ethics and perhaps reduce some of the more
potentially harmful and disruptive behavior.

People have been generally respectful of the plantings and stay mostly on
the paths, and we certainly don't have the crowds of a few weeks ago, but
there are always those who, either from ignorance or high motivation, step
into the planted areas for a closer look, and now we may have some who may
be trying to feed the PABU, also from ignorance or motivation.

Please be polite and instructive when working with these people so as to
help correct the unwanted behavior as well as maintain the good reputation
birders have as caretakers of wildlife and natural habitat.  I have found
that the large percentage of people respond favorably once they understand
the dynamics of the greenroof and needs of the Painted Bunting.

Rob Bate
Brooklyn