Let me add this to the discussion - there are on-line stores that are much
more "bird friendly" than B&H.
Let me explain - several years ago, I wrote and called B&H several times to
ask for a contribution to NYC Audubon (NYCA). I wrote that many birders in
the city were buying from them, and that a small contribution such as some
optics or a credit, would not only provide B&H with further customers by
the advertising that NYCA would provide at our annual fundraiser, but would
also go to help bird conservation in New York City.
I was hoping for a favorable response, but instead, B&H simply did not even
have the courtesy to respond at all. I tried two years in a row.
On the other hand, Eagle Optics, an online store, has been supportive of
many birding organizations (they provided a pair of binoculars for multiple
years to NYCA), and, of course, Cape May Bird Observatory as well. I
believe you can negotiate with Eagle Optics if you find a better price
elsewhere.

Also, regarding checking out scopes -  I found birders very generous in
allowing me to look through their scopes when I was in the field. This is
how I did my research. Everybody has a scope out for shorebirds!

Good birding.
Lynne Hertzog
NYC