Maybe I’d see it differently if the pictures were larger, but this looks like a
regular Canada Goose to me. Structurally, it looks like the canadensis (or
interior) subspecies should. The bill may be on the shorter side of average,
but I found a couple in my photo collection that look the same. Shape wise, it
looks more like Canada than Cackling. The head shape says Canada to me. Maybe
photographing a wider range of canadensis and interior (and determining if they
can be separated?) may be a project for next winter. Even now, I have a
canadensis picture on my geese gallery.

Another goose point that I might mention. I compared the Greater White-fronted
Goose from Flushing Meadows to others that I’ve photographed and noticed a head
/ bill  shape / profile difference.  So maybe a better way to separate North
American vs. Greenland birds (since it’s said the bill color isn’t reliable).

Isn’t waterfowl identification fun?  I got to get back to identifying the duck
that appears at 2:31 of the Katrina & the Waves – Walking on Sunshine video.

Steve Walter

http://stevewalternature.com/