Orchard Beach, Pelham Bay Park, Bronx
Thursday August 24, 2017

The puddles in the parking lot at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park were good
again today.

Since first being reported by Richard Aracil last Saturday (Aug. 19th), one or
two Western Sandpipers have been appearing off and on. I found one of these at
around 4:30pm, sent texts to several Bronx birders and tweeted the bird
(#birdbx, @DAllenNYC). A fellow backing up his car flushed the sandpiper flock,
but I was able to refind the bird by the time Jack Rothman arrived. Actually,
it appeared to be a different Western Sandpiper from the one I'd seen earlier.
Jack spotted the bird right away, and we got nice looks until another civilian
flushed the flock by striding right up to the puddle from the opposite side.

Meanwhile, Bob DeCandido, scanning the skies at the Lagoon noted an Osprey or
two and a Forster's Tern, etc.

Other birds:

Mixed peep flock of about 100 birds with around 10 Least Sandpipers and around
90 Semipalmated Sandpipers
Lesser Yellowlegs - 4 (seen together by Jack & I on the way out)
Short-billed Dowitcher - 4
Gulls: Laughing, Herring, Ring-billed, and Great Black-backed
American Crow - 5 including juveniles with a lot of brown in the plumage
Barn Swallow - at least 4 getting drinks from the puddles

--
The Pectoral Sandpiper was last reported on August 19th (Andrew Baksh), and a
White-rumped Sandpiper was reported on August 18th (Carole Griffiths). I

Viewing is best at high tide and for a couple of hours before and after.

Deb Allen
Bronx, NY