Late this morning around noon Bobby Rosetti and I found a cuckoo which I am
fairly sure was an immature Black-billed. It was moving west along the edge of
the shrubline of the horse riding area that is for equestrians only, northeast
of the main entrance, and west of the manure fields. We lost it when it crossed
a main path that leads to the main buildings and disappeared into the woods.
The bill was all dark, but the confusing thing was a lot of rufous in the wing,
more typical of Yellow-billed. The one undertail view I had was of an entirely
gray tail, with no obvious white spots, which I think is consistent with
immature Black-billed. I believe immature Black-bills can show more rufous in
the primaries than the adults. Bulls Birds Of New York list Nov 13 as the late
date so this was quite a surprise.