Out birding on February, 22, 2018, the windless weather felt like such a
gift (for an ear birder anyway!).  We visited boreal habitat areas of Long
Lake, Piercefield, Newcomb, Minerva, and North Hudson, and owled in Long
Lake after dinner (Rt. 30, Sabattis Circle Road all the way to Sabattis
Station, and Lake Eaton) - (Hamilton, St. Lawrence, and Essex Counties).
The calm, cloudy day, turned into a calm, clear night for owling.  The stars
and moon were spectacular.  The lakes made other-worldly sounds as the ice
shifted and cracked from so many temperature extremes during the past few
days.  A Snowshoe Hare bounced across Sabattis Road like a brilliant orb in
our headlights.  Snowmelt in February creates new dangers for a winter-white
animal.  During the day, two Eastern Chipmunks were actively running around
- I don't recall ever seeing this hibernating mammal active in February and
I wondered what they will do if we return to "winter".  Here is our species
list:

Ruffed Grouse - displaying bird at the side of Sabattis Circle Road!

Wild Turkey

Barred Owl - 3 calling at Lake Eaton in Long Lake

Northern Saw-whet Owl - 1 tooting along Sabattis Circle Road!

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - female drumming and viewed along Route 30 (just
north of John Dillon Park)

Pileated Woodpecker - some drumming along Sabattis Circle Road and one
flyover near Horseshoe Lake

Gray Jay - 8; (pair at Round Lake Trailhead, 3 at Sabattis Bog, 2 at
Santanoni Dr. in Newcomb, and 1 heard one calling near Sand Pond Marsh in
North Hudson)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 7 (flocks of at least 4 and 3 in the vicinity of Sand
Pond Marsh along the Blueridge Road) Nice views!

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch - 2 (rare to see this winter!)

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Purple Finch - lots of singing!

Red Crossbill - many!  Rt. 30, Sabattis Rd. (4 gritting with WWCRs),
Horseshoe Lake Rd. (Rt. 421) - 2 locations (2 gritting with PISIs, and 4
gritting with WWCRs), and several locations along the Blueridge Road (in the
Sand Pond Marsh vicinity, we observed 4 Red Crossbills feeding on Tamarack
cone seeds).

White-winged Crossbill - many! Rt. 30 - several (views past John Dillon Park
and a pair with a female picking nesting material where we fed Gray Jays),
Sabattis Rd. - 6, Horseshoe Lake Rd. (Rt. 421) - 2, and flock of at least 6
flying over us as we looked at the Boreal Chickadees in the Sand Pond Marsh
vicinity

Pine Siskin - many

American Goldfinch

American Tree Sparrow - several at a feeder in Newcomb

Dark-eyed Junco

I went out today (February 23, 2018) for a quick trip just before the
rain/ice began (in Long Lake).  A Pileated Woodpecker loudly foraged along
Sabattis Circle Road.  Gray Jays are in nesting mode and I only saw one pair
at Sabattis Bog.  I spotted 2 male Red Crossbills perched along Route 28N at
the edge of Shaw Pond.  One male was singing from the top of a Balsam Fir.
A White-winged Crossbill was calling as it flew around Sabattis Bog.  I
found 2 male White-winged Crossbills gritting in Sabattis Circle Road near a
marsh area, and then one flew up to the top of a spruce and began to sing.
It's nice to have nesting birds in winter!

Joan Collins

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell