David, I truly believe you have nothing but the best intentions for these
alerts and want them to enrich and expand the birding experience for all.
But at the same time, your product has entered an existing Twitter
community that had certain norms, and has not respected those norms you
disagree with. Not all of those norms were or are universally agreed on by
everyone in that group, but they were and are largely shared.

You are right that you are not violating any terms of use or actual rights.
But many of us who enjoyed our local Twitter community in Brooklyn no
longer do, as a direct result of #birdbk. Many of that community's most
active posters are restricting our Twitter use or migrating to other
platforms.

I, at least, do not mean to make you defensive. But please see that many of
the intended users of your product do not enjoy it the way you had hoped,
at least in this pocket of the birding world, and that as a result it is
having an effect opposite to your intent. I don't want to exaggerate the
importance of Twitter, but let's say it is is ever-so-slightly lessening
the birding experience rather than ever-so-slightly enhancing it.