Hi everyone,

[Note: this email is not personal against Sean or Joshua who are some of the
nicest people I have met along my birding adventure]

Three weeks ago, I deleted all my social media birding-related accounts
(Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Flicker) and sworn not to go back
again. I kept this emailing list subscription for rare birds alert because I
still love birding. But I will make an exception today and write this email in
support of David. Somehow, I feel responsible for what is going on between him
and what I call the Secret Society of Brooklyn Elite Birders (SSBEB). [More on
this society below.]

Let me first start by saying that David’s Twitter account, Brooklyn bird Alert,
is the best thing happened for Brooklyn birders in a long time. I am saying
this as a Brooklyn birder and speaking on behave of many Brooklyn birders who
are in support of  David’s work but too afraid to speak out.

David is doing a great job in surfing the net (eBird, Twitter accounts, email
Lists, etc.) in search of the best information to provide to birders all over
the city. He is working hard and his effort is well appreciated by the majority
of birders. I applaud him and I Hope he will continue his work undeterred by
few criticisms.

I feel responsible for all this because I am the one who asked David to start
this account. I had been following Manhattan Bird Alert for years and I liked
it very much. When David created Bronx Bird Alert, I begged him to start one
for Brooklyn. Initially, he hesitated because he doesn’t want to upset Brooklyn
birders.

I conducted few discussions with Brooklyn birders and found that the opinion is
split among the elite birders but the majority of the regular (non-elite)
birders were in support of it. After further discussion, David agreed to start
the account.

It wasn’t long before the account became very popular. Almost more than 90% of
the Brooklyn birders I know followed it and some of them started using the
hashtag #birdbk. I was happy. And many birders benefited from this account.
They saw birds that they wouldn’t have heard about if it wasn’t for David.

At the same time, I noticed that few birders didn’t follow this account. I had
some bad experience with some of them. (Some of them might have hatred against
me since the infamous injured Snowy Owl I tweeted about last November) But I
thought, they will eventually come to their senses and recognize that this
account is good for all Brooklyn birder.

I was wrong.

One month ago, A friend birder (I am not going to mention his name) told me
that there had been a discussion taking place about my involvement with this
account and some believe that I am the one who is doing all the work. And some
birders don’t want to help this account because of me. I told him the account
is owned and managed completely by David and he does all the work. I have
nothing to do with it except that it was my idea.

I was shocked to hear that. I couldn’t believe such level of personal hatred
even existed. I knew about this SSBEB for a long time but I never though they
will descend to this level. I knew they have monopoly over every thing birding
in Brooklyn and they don’t like any dissent. They bully the rest of Brooklyn
birders into silence.

Those who know me well also know that I don’t keep quite when I see something
wrong. I express my opinion freely. Some of you might remember the Facebook
posts about birding ethics I posted a couple of months ago. Apparently, these
posts didn’t go well with the Junta, which is the SSBEB, in the banana
republic, that is Brooklyn, and I have always thought I was in America, the
land of the free.

One week after that encounter with the friend birder, I knew something is
brewing. I received an email from another friend birder; also he will remain
unnamed, addressing me in a very formal way. We had exchanged many friendly
emails in the past year. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I
knew then that whatever discussion taking place behind a closed door had gotten
to him also. Apparently, the SSBEB is exerting pressure on the whole birding
community.

What happened two days later was the straw that broke the camel’s back and I
decided to exit Brooklyn birding community altogether.

David tweeted about a Snowy Owl in Floyd Bennett Field which is 10 minutes away
from where I live. I immediately got in my car and drove there. The owl was
still there. I love Snowy Owl. I know many birders also love them and they
enjoy looking at them.

I believe God send Snowy Owls to NYC every winter, especially the coldest ones,
so people can take a break from their miserable busy lives and enjoy the beauty
of this majestic bird, even if it is only for minutes. I believe every New
Yorker has the right to look at one of them every winter.

I immediately took photos and videos and posted them on social media
(especially Brooklyn Bird Alert) thanking David for his tweet. I was happy to
know that few other birders also took advantage of this tweet and saw the bird.
This is what social media all about; spreading happiness.

The following day, a group of misbehaving birders/photographers went to see the
bird. They broke the law by trespassing onto the field to get closer to the
bird. The bird flew away to one of the nearby island. The event was documented
and photos were posted on Twitter.

I was very angry at those birders who broke the law and wished if the person
who saw them would have called the police to get them. The police are few
minutes away in that field. I was very sad all day long. I had a sinking
feeling. Something inside me told me a storm is brewing.

In the evening, the injured Snowy Owl who saved me last November came through
my window and whispered in my ear to check my twitter account. I was shocked to
see that few birders had blocked my twitter account denying me the access to
their tweets. They all did it at the same time. They must have been in an
emergency meeting somewhere in a dark cave under the candle lights right now to
decide the fate of the evil-doer Gus Keri.

The SSBEB forgot all what ailing the world of birds. They forgot global
warming, thinning of the ice cap, deforestation, destruction of habitat,
acidification of oceans, plastic-ification of oceans and Trump administration’s
attempt at reversing all the environmentally protecting laws for migratory
birds. They decided that my twitter account is dangerous to Snowy Owls and
leading this species to extinction.

What shocked me the most that one of them was one of the nicest people I have
ever known and the last person I expected to be blocked by. An overwhelming
feeling of sadness descended on me. I didn’t know what to do. The SSBEB have
influenced the best of them all into taking action against me.

At that moment, I reached a decision that I had been thinking about for few
months. I am done with birding altogether. I deleted all my birding-related
social media accounts and went into the night quietly. Needless to say, I
couldn’t sleep that night until the early morning hours.

Over the last few years of birding, I got to know many birders in Brooklyn. The
majority if them are very good people who don’t want to make any trouble. They
kept saying to me, “he is a nasty man but a very knowledgeable birder and I
don’t want to get on his bad side.” The culture of “fear and intimidation” is
alive and well in the Brooklyn birding community.

Many of them asked me to keep the fight against the Junta SSBEB. But what they
don’t know that I am not young, and above all, I am not healthy enough for this
fight. I wish I was thirty years younger with my full health. I would have kept
my promise to the many good people who just need their voices heard without
fear of bad repercussions.

Dear David, I have not met you yet. I am hoping to do so at one of my trips to
Central park. I don’t know how old or healthy you are. But I hope you will keep
this account running, at least because “this town needs this measly one-horse
institution if only to have some place where people can come without crawling
to Potter.”

Thank you every one for reading on.

I have a feeling this might be my last communication on this list.

So long every one.

Gus Keri

Sent using Zoho Mail

---- On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 05:23:38 -0700 Larry Trachtenberg
<trachtenb...@amsllp.com> wrote ----

Even though “the world is turning and you can’t slow down,” I have chosen never
to have tweeted, retweeted, used instagram, Ingraham, facebook, linked in or
willingly participate in any form of social media.  Getting old is not so bad
considering where the world is going even if you miss a bird “here, there and
everywhere”, as reportage of bird sightings migrates to sources one may choose
not to use.  It seems to me though not knowing any of the participants to this
debate; isn’t the whole point of the social media thing once it’s out there
it’s out there for better or perhaps more often for worse and if you choose to
give the the new robber barons like Zuckerberg your personal info, well ....
and if you choose to follow what Kim Kardashian eats, well; and if you tweet
the identity and location of a bird, well ....

Seems this newest bird community feud is merely a redux of the photographer v.
birder antagonisms not to mention the debate regarding the absurd -unethical
many would say - use of incessant play back by some charging $ to lead bird
walks so their customers can get better photographs — all issues that hopefully
won’t Trump reports of actual bird sightings as migration gets in to full
swing.  Happy birding.

As for birds, I did see a meadowlark at Croton Point today.

L. Trachtenberg

Ossining, NY.

P.s. “Can’t we all just get along” — kidding 🙃

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2018, at 8:37 PM, Sean Sime <s...@seansime.com> wrote:

Welcome and Basics

Rules and Information

Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive

Surfbirds

ABA

There has been much discussion off-list regarding the Twitter alert systems you
have set up and the many unknowns I'm hoping you may be able to shed some light
on to the list and therefore I'm replying here.

We all agree there can be great benefit to information sharing via social
media. Yet there are many who are concerned regarding your practice of posting
sensitive species locations, currently daytime roosting owls, but given line #4
in your post, "There are no restricted species" it would imply nesting species
as we move into season as well.

While many people in Kings County were eager to give the birdbk hashtag a try
it quickly seemed to push the limits of our local birding community's ethics in
this regard. This post is in no way an attempt to have a discussion regarding
what level of intrusion on bird life is appropriate. While most of us follow
the ABA Code of Ethics or follow similar guidelines via local organizations or
eBird it is easy to understand different people have different opinions on the
matter.

What I am wondering and I'm hoping you will shed some light on is the apparent
harvesting of data outside of the purview of people who are using the hashtag,
whether from eBird, local text alerts or what have you. What seems particularly
troubling is that multiple people have specifically DM'd you and asked that you
do not use their tweets and you continue to retweet them anyway, although
apparently stripping their names from your posting.

Given the current events, it seems appropriate people should have a full
understanding of how their data is being gathered, stored and used.

While reasonable people may disagree on what is ethical birding or not I see
less room for different interpretations when it comes to ignoring a member of
the birding community's direct request to have you not use their data. As one
human being to another this seems to be completely lacking in civility. I hope
you will take the time to respond to these concerns to the list as they are
shared by many people in the NYC birding community.

Kind regards,

Sean Sime

Brooklyn, NY