As reported, the Varied Thrush was seen today in the span of about five
minutes in the northern part of Clove Lakes Park around 10:55 am this
morning. It stayed up in trees while we saw it, moving perches a few times
before it was lost flying to the south, losing height.

A Yellow-breasted Chat continues further south in the park as previously
reported. At times it gave fairly good views moving actively through bushes
and trees, feeding on remaining berries, before it disappeared into some
low thickets and was not refound.

At the southern lake in the park, a Cackling Goose was sleeping just
minutes ago in with Canada Geese on the edge of the lake’s ice. It had its
head tucked in most of the time, but it was easy to pick out by its smaller
size and paleness relative to all the surrounding Canada Geese.

A Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, and  Swamp Sparrow continue in the vicinity
of the chat.

Adrian Burke
Manhattan